NoSQL (for Not-Only SQL) is a new and fast-growing category of data management technologies designed to handle the requirements of high-performance, web-scalable systems and big data analysis. Organizations like Facebook, Twitter, Amazon and Yahoo are notable examples of innovators which have used NoSQL solutions to gain greater scale and performance, and at a fraction of the cost of traditional relational database systems.
The organizational challenge for many traditional SQL-only shops is how to embrace the rapidly developing NoSQL movement and nurture pilot projects that compete with startup organizations. This whitepaper will help C-Level executives to understand these new concepts and start solving business problems in innovative ways. NoSQL will challenge IT management, technical staff, analysts, educators and product developers in many different dimensions. But those who grasp the opportunity early will find numerous ways in which they can provide agile, high-performance solutions to business challenges that simply cannot be addressed in rows and tables. These systems include document stores, key value stores, native XML databases, graphical databases, column stores, object stores, in-memory caches and multi-dimensional OLAP cubes.
- Definitions of NoSQL
- Business drivers for NoSQL
- Insights and innovations behind the NoSQL movement
- Limitations of traditional SQL solutions
- New NoSQL paradigms
- New technology choices now available to the enterprise-class systems
- Ways in which NoSQL technology is different
- How NoSQL manages to solve problems better
- What problems can you solve with NoSQL that you cannot solve with SQL?
- Key-Value Stores
- Document Stores
- Graph Stores
- Columnar databases
- Hadoop in the enterprise
- Tradeoff analysis of various NoSQL alternatives
- New challenges introduced by horizontal scaling and distributed computing systems
- Deployment options for NoSQL database solutions
- Pricing options for cloud computing and MapReduce deployment
- Suggested approaches for analysis of NoSQL options
- Guidelines for starting a NoSQL pilot project in your organization
About the Authors
About the Sponsors
Dataversity is an online education portal designed to educate and promote those in the field of Data Management. Dataversity provides a centralized location for training, online webinars, certification, news and more for information technology (IT) professionals, executives and business managers worldwide. Members enjoy access to a deeper archive, leaders within the industry, knowledge base and discounts off many educational resources including webinars and data management conferences.
NoSQL Now! is a new conference covering the dynamic field of NoSQL technologies scheduled for the San Jose Convention Center, in San Jose, California, on August 23-25, 2011. It is a vendor-neutral forum describing the diversity of NoSQL technologies and helping businesses develop objective evaluation processes to match the right NoSQL solutions with the right business challenge.